Identity Project Part 1

 PART I - Close Reads:  The readings throughout this course will serve as the foundation to think critically and reflectively about your identity.

(a) Where do you come from? Who are you? How has your identity changed? How do you figure out your identity? (Kirk &Okazawa-Ray, 2010) 

I come from Thomasville, North Carolina. A small town with countryside and opportunity. I am a white heterosexual female. I have so many roles and responsibilities that play into who I am. Many factors of my identity entail a large amount of privilege. Part of myself that has changed would be my awareness and activity relating to social justice that I didn't always understand. Going forward I am choosing to recognize the parts of my identity that aren't in my control, but that gives me a running start from a socio-economic standpoint. For me now, it's a matter of taking this reality of my identity and using it for the empowerment and advocacy of others.


(b) Which parts of your identity do you emphasize? Which do you underplay? Why? How so? (Kirk & Okazawa-Ray, 2010) 


I think that I put more emphasis on the parts of my identity that are direct roles that I have. I think this is because they require my thoughtfulness and intention. For example, I tend to focus on roles like these: sister, friend, employee, and student. These identifiers are very important to me and I hold them with high value. I think that I underplay other attributes that I do not consciously act on, on a daily basis. For example, there are things about me that have always been and I do not actively choose to be. I am female, but I do not give that thought special attention because it is all I know. I am white, and while I do recognize that in a socio context, I may underplay it because, in the same way, it's all I've ever been. I have taken my natural-born factors for granted, which in its own way, is underplaying those parts of me.


(c) What has your social context been? Who are your “people”? Where or what are your “home” and “community”? How do you know? How have you learned what you are and where home and community are? How can you find out if you do not know? (Kirk & Okazawa-Ray, 2010; Tatum, 2003) 


My social context is far spread. As I said, I am from a small town but I have developed friendships across many different cities and communities. I will always think of Thomasville as my "home" because that is where I grew up and that is where my family is. When I think of home, I think of my family. I think it is interesting to think through the various community groups that I am apart of and how they differ. I have found "my people" in Greensboro, and I have "my people" in Thomasville and Lexington as well. Throughout college, I have adapted to the idea of being connected with a broader and more diverse scale of groups. This has helped me develop into an adaptable individual and I genuinely enjoy the numerous settings and environments that I am involved in.


(d) Which of the social constructs of your identity provide power and privilege? Which provide less power and disadvantage? (Kirk & Okazawa-Ray, 2010; Stachowiak, 2010; Tatum, 2003) 


The parts of my identity that give me more privilege are my race and socioeconomic status. As a white individual, I understand my privilege within my everyday life as I move forward. I grew up in a working middle class. While I did work, I never had to worry about what my family was going to eat for dinner. I had special opportunities because of my socioeconomic status, such as private education and personal connections to my employers. A part of me that has a disadvantage is my identity as a female in our society. As time goes on, we can recognize the improvements for women's rights however women are still the inferior sex, discriminated against in our society.




Comments