The Growth of Our Future




 I have enjoyed the readings for this class and I feel that we as professionals can practically take these concepts into the school system. I think my top takeaway was the importance of bringing hard conversations in the classroom, as an open and safe space, no matter the age. This is important for growing in sociological awareness and stripping down stereotypes to learn the truth. These conversations and inclusive activities can give students the opportunity to be enlightened by their peers, recognize the reality of oppression within race, ethnicity,  gender, and class, become self-aware, and practice critical thinking.  These ideas can all be tied to the importance of leaving space and creating opportunities for social education to take place in this way. Not only is it important to have conversations, but it is also vital for students to have a basic understanding of these words at an earlier age so that they can personally build off of their base knowledge. I believe introducing these hard topics at an earlier age will enhance each student's growth as an individual, and in turn, impact our community. I feel as though I have learned so much more in college about social justice principles and social self-awareness. I still feel like I have so much growing to do in this regard. Imagine if students came out of primary school understanding these "college-level" concepts and were comfortable practicing sociological mindfulness. 

I took this picture earlier this summer. To me, it demonstrates the unity of those who are practicing social justice principles and social self-awareness. It brings me encouragement to see so many diverse people coming together to demand equality for everyone. It is my hope that we can teach our children inside and outside the classroom to be sociologically aware, even at young ages, for the advancement of our community in the future. 


Comments